Global cities and informational urbanism
Architecture and social urban infrastructure network
Critical theory in architecture and urban studies
Architectural design and research methodology
Global Cities & Multiscale Architecture Lab
Department of Architecture, Design School,
National Taipei University of Technology, Taiwan
Tel: +886-227712171 ext #2932
- 2007- 2015 Ph.D. in Architecture, University of Edinburgh, U.K
- 2006-2007 M.A in Architecture and Critical Theory, University of Nottingham, U.K
- 2002-2004 M.Arch. in Architecture and Urban Theory, Tam-Kang University, Taiwan
- 1998-2002 B.Sc. in Architecture, National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan
- 2018- Assistant Professor in Architecture, National Taipei University of Technology, Taiwan
- 2016-2018 Assistant Professor in Architecture, Tunghai University, Taiwan
- 2016 Visiting Research Fellowship, the Bartlett Faculty of the Built Environment, University College of London, U.K
- 2015 Adjunct Assistant Professor in Architecture, National Quemoy University, Taiwan
- 2014-2016 Adjunct Assistant Professor in Architecture, Tunghai University, Taiwan
- 2022- The 22nd committee member, Educational training committee of Architectural Institute of Taiwan
- 2022- The 22nd committee member, Education for Architecture committee of Architectural Institute of Taiwan
- 2016- The 22nd committee member, Publishing committee and guest editor of Architectural Institute of Taiwan 2022-24 Board Member, Women in Architecture Taiwan Association
- 2022- Member of the Urban Planning Committee of Yilan County Government
- 2019- Translation and editorial committee ember for the architecture division of the terminology review committee at the National Academy for Educational Research
- 2021- Board Member, Chinese Institute of Urban Design
- 2020 Review committee member and design mentor for Ministry of Education Elite Overseas Training Program in Arts and Design
- 2020 Committee Member for the Examination and Question Preparation for TVE Joint College Entrance Examination四技二專統測
- 2019- Review committee member of Ministry of Education Teaching Practice Research Program
- 2019-21 Consultant for the Keelung 'House of Design and Architecture' Project, Phase One and Two, Keelung City Government
- 2013/16/18/21- Review Committee Member, Core Teacher Training Workshop Material Design Team Member, Instructional Mentor, Evaluator for Ministry of Education's 'Aesthetic Education Curriculum Program
Conference and Publications
Books and Chapters
- Huang, Shao-Yu, 2023, Encountering Multi-fields: Architecture and landscape urbanism module portfolio2020-2023, NTUT, Dpt. of Architecture: Taiwan. ISBN: 9786269759200
- Elser, Oliver, Wang, Chun-Hsiung, and Huang, Shao-Yu, 2020, SOS Brutalism: selected projects from Taiwan and the world, (中英內文) p.82-97。台北：田園城市。ISBN: 9789869646529
- Huang, Shao-Yu, 2016, “Baroque Cities? The Concept of Scale in Global Urban Centres, with Particular Reference to the Xin-Yi Planning District of Taipei”, p.34, The RIBA President’s Awards for Research-Book of abstract, RIBA: London.
- Lo, Yunng-Hsu, Huang, Shao-Yu, 2023, “"Trace” in the Memorial Building: Take the Jewish Museum and Zhuang Wei Dune Visitor Center as Examples”, Proceedings of the 35th meeting of the Architectural Institute of Taiwan, May, Kaohsiung: Taiwan.
- Huang, Shao-Yu, 2023, “A ten-minute fold of everydayness: municipal rubbish management as a critical field of informal social infrastructure”, American Association of Geographers 2023 Annual Meeting, March 23-27, Denver, United States.
- Huang, Shao-Yu, 2023 “The Translational Acts of Third Space: A Preliminary Exploration of the Discursive Context of Taiwanese Architecture Discourse Since the 1990s”,“第三空間的譯語行動：1990年後台灣建築論述語境初探”, Taiwan Architecture Forum: Traditional and Non-Traditional - From World War II to Contemporary Times, March, Taipei Fine Arts Museum, Taipei.
- Tsao, Chih-An and Huang, Shao-Yu, 2023, “Rhythm Analysis of Garbage Disposal and Everyday Living Spaces - Discussion Post-Pandemic” ”垃圾處理與每日生活空間之節奏分析 - 疫情後的討論”, The 19th Chinese Institute of Interior Architecture and Design Annual Conference in Spatial Design Proceedings, January, Yunlin. ISBN: 9789869609746 Huang,
- Shao-Yu, 2022, “Distance to the Sea: Land Reclamation as a Living Practice of Translating Cultural Spatial Assets, with Macau as an Example”, “與海的距離：填海作為認知轉譯文化空間資產的生活地景方法，以澳門為例”。Heritage and Sustainability at Forty: Cross-Domain Integration and Cultural Translation- 2022 Annual Conference of the Taiwan Heritage Society Proceeding, Chung Yuan Christian University, Taoyuan. ISBN: 9786269710805
- Huang, Han-Ting and Huang, Shao-Yu, 2022, “Urban Church Church Space - A Case Study of the Enyou Center”,“都市教會教堂空間–以恩友中心為例”, The 34th Annual Conference on Architectural Research Proceeding, Taiwan Institute of Architecture, Taipei.
- Tsao, Chih-An and Huang, Shao-Yu, 2022, “Rhythm Analysis of Garbage Collection and Street Life Spaces - A Case Study of Wanhua District”,“垃圾清運與街道生活空間之節奏分析- 萬華區為例”, The 34th Annual Conference on Architectural Research Proceeding, Taiwan Institute of Architecture, Taipei.
- Huang, Han-Ting and Huang, Shao-Yu, 2022,“Infrastructure as a Space for Everyday Citizen Life - A Case Study of the Bade Multi-story Parking Facility”,“基礎設施作為市民日常生活場域–以八德立體停車場為例”, The 34th Annual Conference on Architectural Research Proceeding, Taiwan Institute of Architecture, Taipei.
- Huang, Shao-Yu, 2021, “Social Resilient Landscape: a Preliminary Study on Contemporary Urban Churches in Taiwan as socio-spatial infrastructural engagements”, “社會韌性地景：當代台灣都市教會作為基礎設施的多重角色初探”, Nature, Society, and Design- Academic Forum and Proceedings, Fu-Jen Catholic University Press, Taipei. ISBN:978-986-0729-39-9
- Huang, Shao-Yu, 2021, “Saving and Saved Brutalism: A Study of Multiple Campaigns to Preserve Brutalist Architecture and its Retrofit Challenge “, “消逝之間，救援之後：當代粗獷主義建築的多重保存行動與再生挑戰”。Between the Tangible and the Intangible: Crossing Interdisciplinary Boundaries in Cultural Heritage Preservation- 2021 Annual Conference of the Taiwan Heritage Society Proceeding, N.T.U.T，Taipei. ISBN:9786269529926
- Yeh, Su-Ling and Huang, Shao-Yu, 2021, “A Study on the Cultural Value of Post-War "High-rise Church Architecture" in Taiwan - Taking the Gongdong Cathedral in Taitung and the East Gate Presbyterian Church in Taipei as Examples”, “台灣戰後「高層化教堂建築」文化價值之研究 -以台東公東聖堂、台北東門長老教會為例”, Between the Tangible and the Intangible: Crossing Interdisciplinary Boundaries in Cultural Heritage Preservation- 2021 Annual Conference of the Taiwan Heritage Society Proceeding, N.T.U.T，Taipei. ISBN:978-626-95299-2-6
- Huang, Shao-Yu, 2021, “Architecture as Infrastructure: Multi-scaling Socio-spatial Networks”, The Pennsylvania State University and National Taipei University of Technology Join Symposium, March, Taipei: Taiwan.
- Huang, Shao-Yu, 2017, “Two subtle flows- urban infrastructure as a critical socio-spatial approach to informal global urbanism”, Questioning the Space of Modernity: Informality and the City" International Conference, Dept. of Landscape, FuJen Catholic University.
- Huang, Shao-Yu, 2015, “Multiscale Architecture and Architecture in Multiscaling: the urban infrastructure as a critical social-spatial approach in the context of globalization”, ARCHTHEO '15 Theory and History of Architecture Conference, İstanbul, Turkey.
Journal and other professional publication
- Huang, Shao-Yu, 2021, “Architecture as Infrastructure: a synergistic proposal for a multi-scalar reading of urban public life”, “建築之於基礎設施的協同提案：作為都市公共生活的多重擴充閱讀”, Architectural Institute of Taiwan Magazine, Vol.102, April, p.24-28。ISSN:1019-6994
- Huang, Shao-Yu, 2020, ”亦舊亦新- Kaohsiung Cultural Center高雄市文化中心/ St. Joseph Kung-Tung Technical High School私立公東高級職業學校聖堂大樓/ The Wave Tower of San Sin High School of Commerce and Home Economics私立三信家事商業學校波浪大樓“，Architecture+ Tectonics Taiwan Journal 05, p.3-32, Architecture Tectonics Taiwan Co., Ltd., Taipei. ISSN:2617-0671
- Huang, Shao-Yu, 2019, “Infrastructure as a Crossing-scale reading of public life in the open city”, “以支持設施作為跨尺度閱讀開放城市的公共生活”, Architecture+ Tectonics Taiwan Journal 03, p.238-243, Architecture Tectonics Taiwan Co., Ltd., Taipei. ISSN:26170671
- Huang, Shao-Yu, 2016, “Urban Infrastructure as a participant of globcal existence”, ”都市基礎設施做為全球與在地共存之參與者”，Vol.253 Oct., Taiwan Architecture Magazine, Taipei
- Huang, Shao-Yu, 2016, Multi-scaling the urban infrastructure in Stratford: Rubbish management as a critical socio-spatial approach, Postdoctoral research report, unpublished, The Bartlett Faculty of the Built Environment, School of Architecture, UCL.
- Huang, Shao-Yu, 2015, Baroque Cities? The Concept of Scale in Global Urban Centres, with Particular Reference to the Xin-Yi Planning District of Taipei, Ph.D. thesis, The University of Edinburgh, U.K.
- Huang, Shao-Yu, 2007, Post-metropolises: Dynamic Architectural and Urban translations in Taipei City, MA in Architecture and Critical Theory dissertation with merit, The University of Nottingham, U.K.
- Huang, Shao-Yu, 2004, A Research on the Modernity Implementation of Center Transition in Taiwan Cities─with Metropolitan Regions in Northern Taiwan as Examples, M.Arch. in Architecture and Urban Theory dissertation, Tam-Kang University, Taiwan, U.K.
- 2022-23 Hosting International Visegrad Fund scholar Dr. Stefan Tkac, National Science and Technology Council, Taiwan.
- 2022-23 Depicting the theory towards space production- Multi-scalar Drawings as a Method of Interdisciplinary learning in spatial professions, Project director, Ministry of Education, Taiwan.
- 2021-22 Interdisciplinary action learning in spatial studies- Architecture and Landscape Urbanism as a Theoretical Practice, Project director, NTUT, Taiwan.
- 2016 Postdoctoral Visiting Fellowship by the Bartlett School of Architecture, UCL, UK.
- 2010 Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship by Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation, Taiwan.
- 2009/10 Postgraduate Research Expenses Fund (PRE), University of Edinburg, School of ECA.
- 2008 David Willis Prize in the section 2007/08 by the Postgraduate Studies Committee in the school of arts, culture and environment, University of Edinburgh.
- 2006 A scholarship by the Ministry of Education in Taiwan.
- 2023 Hosting the visit of the Dean and Research Team of the Faculty of Architecture at Chulalongkorn University, Thailand
- 2023 Speaker, the 111th Academic Year Taipei Joint University System Teaching Practice Research Program Symposium.
- 2021-23 Group evaluation moderator, IEAGD Grand Critique- International Exhibition of Architecture Graduation Designs.
- 2021 Reviewer, International Forum for Architecture Thesis Design in Taiwan and Southeast Asia: critique and Exhibition, Chung Yuan Christian University, Taiwan.
- 2021 NTUT Group mentor, Asia Industrial Cultural Heritage Platform International Youth Forum Workshop and Exhibition, Bureau of Cultural Heritage, Taichung
- 2021 Presenter, Multi-scalar and Multi-scaling cities: A Critical Reading on Contemporary Globalized Urbanism, online speech, invited by Department of Architecture, Sebelas Maret University, Indonesia.
- 2021 Presenter, the Pennsylvania State University and National Taipei University of Technology online symposium.
- 2020 Workshop mentor, International Workshop between the College of Design at Taipei Tech University and the College of Design at Chulalongkorn University, Taipei.
- 2018 Hosting the visit of Research Team of the Department of Architecture at Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman, Malaysia.
- Teaching Achievements
- 2022 Supervise student Luo, Yon-gxu and Pan, Pin-cheng “映海鑲綠”project in “Argo Island Villa International Design Competition” awarded final winner group.
- 2022 Supervise student Lin, Wei-xiang, Qiu, Shu-yu, and Hong, Yu-ying “石境・隱匿光景” project in “Argo Island Villa International Design Competition” awarded final winner group.
- 2022 Supervise student Yang, Jun-rong 'New Waterfront Interface- Bitan Urban Node in Xindian,' project in ‘2nd Häfele National Student Design Competition’ awarded honorable mention.
- 2022 Supervise thesis-design student Lee Lang-cheng, 'Urban Memoirs - Macau Public Review Exhibition,' project in '2022 IEAGD Grand Critique – International Exhibition of Architecture Graduation Designs' entered short list.
- 2022 Supervise thesis-design student Chen Yu-ren, 'Everyday Boundaries and Depths - Port Ballet,' project in 'Build-UP Taitung Architecture and Landscape Review and Exhibition' awarded honorable mention.
- 2019-2023 A Study of the Sacred Path of Contemporary Church Spaces in Taiwan, Yeh, Su-Ling, N.T.U.T, Dpt. of Architecture.
- 2020- Invisible Sacred Spaces: Urban Non-Dwellers' Churches, Huang, Han-Ting, in process.
- 2020- Hidden Infrastructure: Garbage as an Everyday life Indicator – Wanhua District as an example, Tsao, Chih-An, in process.